Wednesday, June 30, 2010

word wednesday: homophone confusion

I was crazy embarrassed when a friend of mine expressed such disdain for people who confuse discrete and discreet. I thought for about two-and-a-half seconds whether I should just scoff with her or to honestly say that I was one of those people. So I hid my tail between my legs and asked, "...What is the difference?"

Getting [*some] homophones mixed up is excusable, especially since a lot of what we read on the internet these days mixes them up anyway. So how are we supposed to learn them correctly? [*But absolutely no one should get you're, your, their, there and they're mixed up after fourth grade.]

My friend told me about the difference between discrete and discreet:
  • discrete means individually separate or distinct. For example, in my assessment class, we were learning about discrete-point test items, where a student is tested on one specific content point, like changing present-tense verbs to past tense. 
  • discreet means careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions. Like I might discreetly tell a friend that she has a booger.
I went on my new favorite website Grammarist to find out about some more homophones that get confused a lot.

wont vs. want
  • wont means accustomed or given or likely, like " 'Texas forever,' as Tim Riggins is wont to say."
  • You guys know what want means.
ascent vs. assent
  • ascent means the act of rising or an upward slope, opposite of descent.
  • assent means agreement or acquiescence.
bologna vs. baloney
  • bologna is a sausage.
  • baloney strictly refers to nonsense or foolish talk. Even though people pronounce baloney and bologna the same, never use baloney when you're talking about sausage.
complacent vs. complaisant
  •  complacent means self-satisfying, smug or contented to a fault. This is a word people might use a lot at church. o_O
  • complaisant is a loan word from French which means cheerfully obliging; tending to go along with others.
Do you guys know the difference between compliment and complementary?

1 comment:

  1. i did not know about bologna/baloney or complacent/complaisant. cool!

    ReplyDelete