Monday, July 5, 2010

music monday: she & him at house of blues, boston

Cyrus and I went to see She & Him at the House of Blues last Thursday night!

I used to go to tons of concerts in the 00's (what do we call that decade??), but then I realized that concerts cost a lot of money, so I stopped going to every show ever that I wanted to go to. So, it'd been a while since my last one (maybe after John Legend and Corinne Bailey Rae in '07?).

First of all, the venue was awesome. We got seated tickets on the third floor. I was afraid we'd feel far away from the action, but since House of Blues is so small, it still felt like we were pretty close, even though we were in the farthest section of the entire place. Great acoustics, of course.

After the doors opened and before the show began, servers came around and asked for our drink orders and brought them right to our seats! Tell me if you've ever had that at a live show before!

But in the end, it was She & Him (Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward) who we came to see, and they totally rocked out! They played pretty much every song on their two albums almost nonstop for an hour and a half - that's a pretty good show. I was a little disappointed that there was hardly any stage banter, though. I was expecting some good stories from Zooey, but all we got was, "Hey, what's up, Boston" and "I like your bangs, too." But it was still fun to watch her - she danced around barefoot like a little girl having the time of her life! You love to see that, you know?

And I totally forgot about that guy. There's always one guy at a concert who is just way into it more than anyone else. And at a very subdued She & Him concert, I didn't expect to see him there. But there he was, sitting a couple rows in front of us, pumping his fists and practically jumping out of his seat in excitement whenever there was any build-up or chorus. He just couldn't contain himself! So funny!!

After hearing one song after another, I did realize how similar everything began to sound, but it was still pretty good. The arrangements were just about the same live as they were on the album - the guitar solos, too. But whatever. It was a fun show.

No comments:

Post a Comment