I'm now in my third week working at Starbucks, and I already have a list of things that annoy me!
The biggest thing is that people pour coffee into the trash can to make room for their milk, and about half of them miss. First of all, how do you miss? These are motor skills that we learned in elementary school! Second, when I take out that trash, it is HOT. And it's HEAVY. All that poured out, wasted coffee! If they would only ask for their coffee "with room," we could all save the hassle of throwing out that coffee.
One time I was taking the trash out, and this guy poured his coffee into the hole and - because the trash can wasn't in place - it splashed ALL over me. I screamed out and told him that I'm taking out the trash now, but the guy didn't notice. He then put napkins and his stirring stick in the hole, too. Some people!!
The second thing is when people are on their cell phones while placing their order. There was one guy who didn't want the person he was talking to to know that he was at Starbucks, and so he literally mouthed his very specific order to me. And I am terrible at reading lips. Seriously - hang up the phone or say "hold on" and give me your attention for 5 seconds!
One non-customer-related pet-peeve is that because I'm new, there are like five people telling me what to do, and sometimes these things conflict. "Go on your 10-minute break" says one person." "Finish your date dots," says another. And still a third person says, "Stay at the register! Don't move!"
And lastly, it is cold in our store. Even on a day like this where it's barely over 60 degrees - I'm shivering, even with two layers on. This annoys me about most places - restaurants, movie theaters, uhh nature -- I hate the cold!
Okay rant over! Time for my first halal cart! Chicken & rice, here I come!
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is pretty bad.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm sure you're learning about all the things you do that you didn't think were a big deal but they are!
Trust me, I learned a lot of things while working at Bennigans.
I always stack my plates, put a clean napkin on top of all my trash and all this other stuff.
hey chris. i totally hear you about the bennigans thing! anyone i know who's worked in the restaurant industry always tries to be the absolute best customer when they dine out.
ReplyDeleteHey Ina, even though it sounds pretty rough, its great to hear what you're up to in NY. Just think, these valuable life experiences could one day be a part of an epic memoir ;)
ReplyDelete