Here's an idea to make the world a better place: birthday wish lists!
Cyrus's family is genius - they just ask each other what they want, and then they get it! I've done this with Jenny a couple times, too, and it's so fantastic! I get something I actually want, and the person who gets it for me doesn't have to waste time and money trying to figure out what I might want. Another way to be more efficient!
You might argue that this takes away from showing someone you really know them or that it takes the thoughtfulness out of thoughtful gift-giving. But if you already know that your friend/family member/significant other does care about you, then why do they have to show it with gifts?
So here's my proposal: public wish lists for all! All year long! When you see something you might want but wouldn't buy it for yourself - those cashmere socks! That designer umbrella! - add it to the wish list! Then, when the time comes for someone to buy you a gift, all they have to do is look at your wish list and choose.
It's going to make everything better! I promise!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

lovely idea!! :D a great place to put one together is on Amazon... since they tend to have EVERYTHING and they already have a wish list feature in place! I think you can look up anyone's wish list there. try looking up mine / rob's!
ReplyDeleteYES! Amazon! But see, for you guys, people are actually looking to buy you gifts because of the baby and new stage in life... I feel like I have less of an excuse! :)
ReplyDeleteI have an amazon universal wish list so I can add stuff from any website!
ReplyDelete(oh, so at christmas my family had no idea what to buy me, so I said "just buy something on my amazon list" and score! lots of great books :) )
ReplyDeleteGood idea BUT for whatever reason, some people think it's presumptuous to refer them to your wishlist. It's ok when you're getting married or having a kid, but something about wishlists hasn't resulted in widespread acceptance in my experience.
ReplyDelete