http://no-carrots-please.blogspot.com/
Happy first day of March!
Last Saturday's Harvard dinner with keynote speaker Yul Kwon was really interesting. It was hosted by Harvard Law School's APALSA (Asian Pacific American Law School Association) where Cyrus is a board member. (Guess what vegetables were served for dinner? Cauliflower and...carrots!)
He talked about his motivation for going on Survivor, which, when you look at his career, isn't a likely choice. He didn't even actively try to get on the show; he was recruited. They were specifically looking for Asian Americans, and after a very shocking interview with Mark Burnett, a powerful TV exec who asked Yul the same kinds of ignorant questions about Asian Americans that my second grade peers asked me in elementary school, he got the offer. Yul decided that there needed to be more Asian Americans who were breaking the mold and confounding the stereotypes of Asian Americans, and it was really interesting to hear all about the challenges he's faced and how dedicated he is to his cause.
But then I think about myself, and I wonder if I'm perpetuating the stereotype that Asian women are submissive, won't rock the boat or cause problems, etc. But the stereotype must have started somewhere. This is what my upbringing has told me to be like, and I fully accept the way I am (well, mostly). Or, am I this way because I'm meeting society's expectations of me? And maybe I have some inner Aggressive Ina who is a natural leader and wants to change the world? ...Or maybe something in between? :)
So I felt a little out of place at a dinner full of motivated, highly intelligent Asian Americans in law school who nodded their heads vigorously when Yul said that we must break these stereotypes!
I don't think about my Asian Americanness much, but maybe I should...
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

ina! u are such a prolific writer on this blog! =D haha. i don't think i break the stereotype at all at my workplace. i'm "shy mia" when we all know that i'm actually "crazy and kooky mia." =D
ReplyDeletehey mia! i'm exactly the same way! so frustrating!
ReplyDelete