Sunday, March 7, 2010

more cantaloupe, please!

My tastes have been changing lately, and I can no longer stand cooked salmon or quinoa. But for some reason, I have started to love cantaloupes! And I mean loooove! They are my new favorite fruit for sure.

After doing some research on cantaloupes, I found out the most astounding fact:

Cantaloupes are rich in vitamin A. One serving (1/4 of a medium melon) provides more than 400% of your daily vitamin A.

So kids, don't listen to your parents when they tell you to eat your carrots because they have vitamin A. Throw the carrots away and ask for a cantaloupe instead! :)


Some more fun/useful facts about cantaloupes I found through my extensive internet research:

- They originate from Cantalupo, Italy where historians say this species of melon was first grown.
- A cantaloupe is also called a muskmelon.
- You'll know a cantaloupe is ripe when the skin underneath the webbing is golden, not green, and when the cantaloupe smell comes out quite strongly from the stem end of the melon.
- Cantaloupes are rich in folic acid, antioxidants and potassium.
- Cantaloupes are considered a beneficial component in the diet of a pregnant woman. This fruit relieves water retention by helping the body to excrete the excess sodium.

Do you know of any other interesting food facts?

3 comments:

  1. "I found through my extensive internet research:"

    Were these the first few results from the Google search "cantaloupes are awesome"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ina,
    Hope you're doing well. Try having cantaloupe with prosciutto. They eat the two together out here (in Europe) and it's pretty delicious.

    Jen (Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jen! Wow, how are you? Actually, when I was in Spain, our hotel had a breakfast buffet and after experimenting with tons of combinations, I ended up eating an entire plate of cantaloupe wrapped in iberico ham! (Similar enough to prosciutto, right?) I totally agree! It's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete