Monday, March 15, 2010

music monday: favorite albums

New idea! I really want to write about some of the music I've been listening to, and artists that I think more people should know about, but unless I limit these kinds of posts to, say, once a week, it might get a little monotonous.

And what better day for these music posts than New Music Monday, when new music comes out!

I couldn't decide on just one artist to uncover this week, so I thought it might be fun to list some of my favorite albums. I had to narrow down my criteria for "favorite" because there are just so many! So these albums are albums that I think can be listened to from start to finish without wanting to skip a single track. I also decided not to include holiday albums just because...it's nowhere near Christmas. Unfortunately. Lastly, I decided not to include albums that seem kinda dated, which took Boyz II Men's "II" off the list. Yes, they're great and wonderful, but some of those songs ("Thank You") sound very early 90's.

So I was left with a very even 11 albums, in alphabetical order.

Dashboard Confessional, "A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar"
I know some people hate this guy's voice, but I fell in love with this album in college and screamed them on long trips in Hsiehdy's car! "As Lovers Go" and "Hands Down" are some of my favorites.

Death Cab for Cutie, "Plans"
About 15 seconds after Jenny played the first track of this album, "Marching Bands of Manhattan" to me in the car one day, I knew I was going to be a fan of DCFC. You don't see a lot of lyrics that are poetic and subtle as Ben Gibbard's anymore these days. I also love the tracks "What Sarah Said," "Summer Skin." Did I mention that these guys are crazy awesome live??

Jack Johnson, "Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George"
I was a little surprised at this, too, but this album is so much fun! "Upside Down," and "Broken" are some of my favorite tracks.


Jimmy Eat World, "Futures"
I'm sure you guys probably like other albums better, but this one is my favorite! "Kill" is my absolute favorite track from this album. So complex! Such yearning! "Polaris," "23" and "Futures" are also fantastic. These guys are also phenomenal live.

John Mayer, "Room for Squares"
I hate myself for liking John Mayer. A lot of names come to mind when I think of all the stupid things he's done and said, but I have to admit, his music, especially his debut album is awesome. My favorite tracks: "Back to You," "St. Patrick's Day" and "Why Georgia."

Keane, "Hopes and Fears"
This album is a little more obscure than the others, but I love it! Every track! I can't believe they can make such different-sounding songs with a keyboard, bass and vocal. Pretty amazing. I love "Somewhere Only We Know," "Everybody's Changing" and "Bedshaped."

Lauryn Hill, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"
Do I even need to describe this album? ... ""Ex-Factor," "To Zion," and "Sweetest Thing" wreck me.

Rachael Yamagata, "Happenstance"
What an artist! Rachael has such a unique style. I love her smoky voice and how she paints such vivid emotional pictures with her lyrics! Also fantastic live. "Letter Read," "1963," "Meet Me By the Water," "I Want You," and "Reason Why" are my favorites.


Sarah McLachlan, "Mirrorball"
You might see Sarah as the queen of soft rock, but this live album is absolute perfection. Even weirder songs like "Fear" sound amazing. I love "Vox" and "I Love You."

Switchfoot, "The Beautiful Letdown"
Maybe it's the fact that I saw these guys live so many times... but this album's anthems and songs of longing and yearning reach something deep inside, you know?? "Dare You to Move," "On Fire" and "More Than Fine" are my faves.


U2, "The Joshua Tree"
No description needed. Best album ever. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is my favorite song ever. Other greats on this album are, "With or Without You," "Where the Streets Have No Name."

5 comments:

  1. All excellent albums! What happened to Lauryn Hill? I feel like she could've taken over the music world after Miseducation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally! She came out with a pretty weak live album and then dropped off the planet! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, those albums remind me of college! which reminds me of u! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Hopes and Fears is one of my favorite albums ever! =) Such an awesome album!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia - I was considering not putting some of these albums up because I wondered if I only liked them because of the whole nostalgia factor! But it turns out that they in fact ARE great albums! (esp Switchfoot & Dashboard!)

    Sunny - I'm so glad we feel the same way! It's got such a cool vibe. Timeless! (I hope)

    ReplyDelete