I love using fresh herbs. My mom is a master gardener, so when I was living in her house, I got used to always having fresh mint, basil, parsley and scallions on hand.
Dried herbs will sometimes work as a substitute, but a lot of the time it can't, like in a caprese salad (mmm...). You could buy fresh herbs at the store, but then you have to use an entire case of the stuff in a couple days or else you'll have to throw the rest away! Shame!
So that's why I'm really excited to grow our first herb in our apartment: basil. My mom saw this little guy at Ikea and got it for us!
Pretty nice, huh? But open it up and see what magic is inside...
It's a disc of soil! And it's as hard as a week-old cookie! And it's smaller than the palm of my hand. So how do you plant anything in this? Well, you take 4 oz. of water...
And then you pour it in!
Wait three minutes, and this--
--Turns into this:
!!
Then you take some of the basil seeds...
My mom recommended not to use the entire package of seeds, but to use 10-15 seeds instead.
(Yikes, I need some lotion!) And you can have some fun with it too, if you like...
Put them in the little pot and let the sun do its work!
I'm so excited to see it grow! And to EAT it!
Watch out for updates of our basil plant!
Have you had any successes or failures trying to grow fresh herbs indoors?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Looking forward to updates! I'm considering starting an herb garden as well. The herbs at the grocery stores aren't very fresh and the stuff from Trader Joe's or MOM is pretty expensive.
ReplyDeletesmiley face!
ReplyDeleteso funny... eliana and i have a little starter kit of basil seeds sprouting right now! they're about 1.5 inches tall with small leaves... they first sprouted just after a few days. it's kind of amazingly fun! once they get big enough, i'm going to transfer them to a herb window box we started using last year.
ReplyDelete