Thursday, April 29, 2010

tuscan cantaloupe + prosciutto

I've told you about how much I love cantaloupe, right?

Well, did I tell you how much I love Tuscan cantaloupe?? At Trader Joe's last week, I saw two types of cantaloupe: regular and Tuscan. Next to the Tuscan cantaloupes stood a sign that said, "Sweeter!" So you can imagine which one I got.

Tuscan cantaloupes have distinct basketball-like grooves.


I like to wait until the cantaloupe is extremely ripe before cracking it open. I left this one in our fruit basket for about four days before I could 1) smell it from halfway across the room, and 2) see that the skin under the webbing was more goldeny than green. Actually, I've noticed that the smell is actually a better indicator of ripeness because the skin of this cantaloupe was plenty green, even though it was fully ripe.

Anyway, I cut it up...


...and paired it with prosciutto! On our honeymoon in Barcelona, I got a chance to experiment with all kinds of meats and fruits, thanks to our daily breakfast buffet. The combination I loved best was Iberico ham with cantaloupe. They don't sell Iberico ham at Trader Joe's, but prosciutto works just as well!


MmmMMmMMmmm!! What a delicious snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment