Happy Music Monday! Cyrus and I are back from New York, and it's time to talk about another great band.
I realize that I've been featuring a lot of female artists, so this week I thought I'd change it up and talk about an all-male band that not a whole lot of people know about: Sleeping At Last. Particularly their 2003 album "Ghosts."
It's hard not to love their indie/alternative sound. Lots of rich electric guitar, good, solid melodies and a lead vocal that really...emotes. Think a Switchfoot's Jon Foreman without the screaming. He's got a lazy way of pronouncing his consonants (...and vowels...) but it only adds to this other-worldliness thing they've got going on.
Listen to this track. I love how the guitars play that simple four-note motif with the lead singer at the beginning of each chorus.
"Currents" is another amazing song with unbelievable lyrics. "In this sea of change / understanding is our shore / I disappear....with no control." Then the chorus just explodes with this desperate cry, "Pull me back to shore." (I couldn't help but think of my a cappella days when I heard this song with its "swimming against a strong current" theme. Our group, Against the Current, were always looking for a "theme" song, and I didn't get to hear this song until I left the group. It would've fit perfectly!)
Other must-listen-to songs on this album: "Night Must End" (oh the drama!) and "Hurry."
Anyway, check out Sleeping At Last! They have several albums out, and they're actually touring right now with their newest album "Storyboards."
Check them out on iTunes and Amazon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment