Monday, April 19, 2010

music monday: "fix you" by straight no chaser

Uh-oh, here comes the a cappella! For the first time on Music Monday, I'm showcasing something actually recent! If you know anything about a cappella, you know that Straight No Chaser is probably one of the best a cappella groups ever. They're responsible for the incredibly creative and hilarious 12 Days of Christmas medley.

I was browsing iTunes' new music, and saw that they have a new album out and gave it a listen. I was curious about "Fix You," which I thought would be a really hard song to sing a cappella, especially since not a lot goes on in the first part of the song, and the second part of the song relies so heavily on electric guitars.

But I listened to it, and it is beautiful.



What blew my mind was the part when they go into the ending at about 2:25. They totally capture that desperate, aching feeling that the original Coldplay song invokes, and when you listen to the a cappella version on full volume, it will totally wreck you! Everything about this last chorus is genius: the backup vocals sing "I will try" (which is not in the original), and that one Boyz II Men Wanya-like vocal singing way up top. Ohh, it's magical.

Check them out on iTunes, Amazon, and YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo! I like it! Have you seen Young at Heart (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047007/)? Their rendition of Fix You is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete