Tuesday, May 18, 2010

crystal bowersox better win american idol

People say Simon Cowell on American Idol is a jerk, but I usually agree with him, at least somewhat. That is until Lee DeWyze came along.

I know there are tons of people out there who love Lee DeWyze, but his voice is like a cheese grater on my ear. He sounds like the two lead singers I hate most in the world: Chad Kroeger and the guy from Hinder. Give them a sweet song, a sentimental song, a gentle song, and they'll turn it into a I-wanna-break-stuff!!!!!! song. But Simon loves him. He called Lee one of the most talented vocalists this season. He almost never has anything bad to say about him. What about him being off-tune? What about the fact that his voice has absolutely no versatility? Or that his voice sounds like a honking car when he holds out a note longer than two seconds?

Sorry to be such a hater. I would never say this stuff to his face, so maybe I shouldn't say it at all. But I have a sneaking suspicion that Lee himself might feel the same about his voice as I do. Remember toward the beginning of the season? He was always so amazed when someone complimented his vocals. Even his parents expressed how he never believed that he had a great voice. Maybe he hates Chad Kroeger and Hinder just as much as I do, but is stuck with the voice he's got and he's just trying to make the most of it.

But going back to Simon Cowell... I'm still in disbelief that a man whose opinions I generally agree with would say such wonderful things about Lee's voice. It reminds me of the first time I realized that me and my brother's tastes in movies and music were no longer the same: when he told me he loved Mandy Moore's A Walk to Remember.

Anyway, Crystal Bowersox better win this season. She's not the greatest in the world, but Lee DeWyze absolutely cannot win.

No comments:

Post a Comment