Thursday, May 6, 2010

found: the best book recommendations

I've been trying to read more books lately, but after reading my Jhumpa Lahiri books for the third time, I decided I needed to branch out a little more. But how? I followed some recommendations from websites and such, only to be led to chick lit.

So what's a girl to do? How do you find books that tell a good story and are well-written?

So after scouring tons of websites, I finally found a source I can trust: NPR's What We're Reading. Each week, staff at NPR tell us about three or more books that they're reading, with a description of the book and their own personal reaction to it. It was through this site that I read "The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea" by Philip Hoare, a non-fiction journey through the author's life studying whales. I also found "The Lost Books of the Odyssey" by Zachary Mason, an imaginative reworking of the classic tale.

So if you're looking for something new to read, check out NPR's What We're Reading! Lots of good stuff.

Have you found another source for great book recommendations? Share in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment