Friday, May 7, 2010

how to send a late invite

Have you ever written out an email invitation or Evite, pressed "send" and then slapped yourself in the forehead because you forgot that one person? I've done it, and it's been done to me.

Depending on how the inviter handles the situation, the forgotten invitee could end up feeling really hurt or really welcomed. (There was a time when I accidentally found out about an event going on, and only after I asked about it was I given a half-assed invitation: "Ohh...do you...wanna come?" Ouch.)


The problem with Evites is that you can't just add someone to the guest list after other people have been leaving comments on the page for days because they'll know they were an after thought. And it's tricky with email invitations too because most of the time there's an email conversation going on that you want all of your invitees to be a part of. If you "reply all" somewhere in the middle of it and include your forgotten friend, it'll be obvious that you didn't remember them in the original list.

Cyrus and I went to a birthday party a couple weeks ago but were invited late. But thanks to a very considerate email from a very considerate friend, we felt just as welcomed as everyone else.

Here's what he wrote to me and Cyrus:
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if you guys are around this weekend, but at the last second [friend] and I are throwing together a birthday get together.  I just sent you the evite (we actually just sent it out last night and I realized that I we missed you two!).  See you soon in any case :)
-Awesome guy
First of all, it was great that he wrote this email at all because some people might just edit the guest list on an Evite and send the Evite without another word. In this very short email, our friend managed to show us that we had been accidentally forgotten. That's important - accidentally forgotten.  

I guess a lot of people might not really care all that much if they receive a late invite, but for people as sensitive about these social nuances as me, it's pretty important. 
 
Is anyone having a party?

No comments:

Post a Comment