One interesting tidbit about this album is how close it was to not being written He was ready to quit the music business and become a teacher. Rocknrollghost.com says:
But the songs that begat Magnetic North wouldn’t let him do it. “The songs were like ‘Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, C’mon dad, let’s go, let’s go, let’s go,’ Hales laughs. “I’m still ever so slightly reluctant, but I don’t have any choice. I’m like the guy in the park with 12 giant puppies being pulled along; I didn’t want to come out. Well, I made these puppies so I guess I must have secretly wanted to get out there.”
The album is simple, stripped down, and vulnerable. It's the lyrical prowess of Keane + the beautiful melodies of Snow Patrol + the slightly restrained vocals of Landon Pigg.
The first track that really caught my attention was "Fingertip," a charming and playful song which begins with the most perfect "doot-doots" you ever heard.
"Reel Me In" is the other of two more upbeat, playful songs on the album that has a great, pulsing feel that makes you feel like you're caught in the waves that he's talking about.
"Lost" and "Thin Air" are my favorite two love songs on the album, one that talks about love lost, and the other love found. I love the hymn-like chord progression in "Lost" that kind of makes his plea like a prayer. "Thin Air" is breathtakingly hopeful and sweet, and the refrain "I believe again" repeating over and over again breaks my heart. You could get completely lost in this song.
Lastly, "California" is a minute and twenty seconds of perfection. The faraway piano and the simple guitar kind of remind me of the soundtrack of one of my favorite movies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
I'll forgive him for his overuse of the phrase "come undone," and for his poor enunciation that makes it hard to figure out what he's saying. (That's what the iTunes digital booklet is for!)
But overall, this is a fantastic album. My favorite new album in months!
Check out Aqualung on iTunes and Amazon!

No comments:
Post a Comment